Our association is a local chapter of the National Association of Health Underwriters (NAHU). The role of OCAHU is to promote and encourage the association of professionals in the health insurance field for the purpose of educating, promoting effective legislation, sharing information and advocating fair business practices among our members, the industry and the general public.
To promote and encourage the association of professionals in the health insurance field for the purpose of educating, promoting effective legislation, sharing information and advocating fair business practices among our members, the industry and the general public.
- To maintain the highest standards for sale and service of Health and Disability Insurance
- To advance public knowledge for the need and benefit of Health and Disability Insurance
- To provide and promote a program of continuing education and self-improvement for its members
- To be active as an association in public affairs, and to encourage its members to support and contribute to community activities
- To advocate fair business practices as they relate to the health industry, our members, and the general public
- To promote the code of ethics of the National Association of Health Underwriters, hereby made a part of these by-laws
- To promote a positive relationship with local, state and national legislators, and to act as a key resource to such legislators on health insurance-related concerns
- To provide our membership and the consumer with accurate, up-to-date information on health insurance-related topics
OCAHU also upholds the values of our national affiliation, NAHU. Here is NAHU's Mission Statement and Code of Ethics:
NAHU will educate the public and decision makers about the value health insurance professionals deliver in helping consumers access the health care system and, through education and association involvement, increase members' ability to better serve consumers. We will do so in a financially prudent and responsible manner.
Code of Ethics
- To hold the selling, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a professional and public trust and do all in my power to maintain its prestige.
- To keep paramount the needs of those whom I serve.
- To respect my clients' trust in me, and to never do anything which would betray their trust or confidence.
- To give all service possible when service is needed.
- To present policies factually and accurately, providing all information necessary for the issuance of sound insurance coverage to the public I serve.
- To use no advertising which I know may be false or misleading.
- To consider the sale, service and administration of health insurance and related products and services as a career, to know and abide by the laws of any jurisdiction Federal and State in which I practice and seek constantly to increase my knowledge and improve my ability to meet the needs of my clients.
- To be fair and just to my competitors, and to engage in no practices which may reflect unfavorably on myself or my industry.
- To treat prospects, clients and companies fairly by submitting applications which reveal all available information pertinent to underwriting a policy.
- To extend honest and professional conduct to my clients, associates, fellow agents and brokers, and the company or companies whose products I represent.
OCAHU's Philanthropic Efforts in 2012
OCAHU Past-President Steve Course presented Cystic Fibrosis Foundation - Southern California Chapter a check for $24,250 from proceeds raised at the 16th Annual One Heart at a Time Golf Classic in April.
OCAHU President Patricia Stiffler and Celebration of Women in Business Chairwoman Suzanne Purnell presented New Hope Grief Support Coimmunity a check for $30,401.44 from proceeds raised at the 10th Annual Luncheon & Fashion Show at the Nixon Library in June.
Checks were presented at CE Day on September 18th.
Pinnacle Award Recipient Announced
The Pinnacle Award is presented annually to honor an individual whose leadership, vision, dedication and spirit have contributed greatly to the growth and success of the Orange County Association of Health Underwriters.
This year our 5th Annual Pinnacle award was presented to Steve Course, President of Best Life and Health. As a past President of OCAHU 1996-1997 , Steve Course, has served as a volunteer with the Memorial Medical Center Parent Advisory Board, with the Orange County Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and New Hope Grief Support Community. Steve has served on the Board of orange County Association of Health Underwriters for many years. He currently is the co-chair for Orange County Association of Health Underwriters Annual Golf Tournament to benefit Cystic Fibrosis of which both his children, Nathan and Rachel have been diagnosed.
Congratulations to Steve and the deserved recognition from his peers and other past presidents! It is the true giving heart of people like Steve that give the gift of hope to those in need. And Thank You Steve for all you have done to contribute to the success of OCAHU and the brokers and agents of Orange County.